[nfbcs] job market

Brian Buhrow buhrow at nfbcal.org
Tue Mar 24 18:24:59 UTC 2015

	hello Charles.  As a computer network engineer myself and as a totally
blind professional, I'll tell you that it is possible to work in the
network security field as a totally blind person.  I've found it extremely
helpful to gain a deep understanding of network protocols at all layers and
to understand what those layers are, how they work together and how each of
them combines with the other to give you an entire networking solution.  If
you have a good knowledge of the fundamentals of computer networking, you'll
be able to troubleshoot, design and work in a variety of networking shops
and provide a lot of value in a lot of places.  You will need to learn to
work with readers to learn pictorial representations of networks and
network designs so you'll be able to communicate with your colleagues about
what you want to  convey, but there's nothing about computer networks
that's inherently visual, nor is there any magic in the security field that
makes it visual either.

-thanks
-Brian