[nfbcs] FW: compiling iPhone apps to Android apps

Louis Maher ljmaher at swbell.net
Wed Mar 25 13:33:11 UTC 2015

Folks,

I found the message, and referenced article, very informative.

Regards

Louis Maher

Phone 713-444-7838

E-mail ljmaher at swbell.net

Louis,

I looked into what it would take to recompile a iPhone app to Android app
that was discussed Saturday over a question "Why an app for iPhone is not
available for Android".  I found that iPhone code is written in Objective-C
for a proprietary iPhone system and Android code is written in Java for a
more open system. There is a great deal of logistics to overcome between the
two systems. Reading what the programmers said about the making an iPhone
app into an Android app, it would be less of a problem if the code was
rewritten in Java. The best explanation comes from this article "Android vs.
iOS Development: Fight!" at this website:
http://techcrunch.com/2013/11/16/the-state-of-the-art/.  This may help to
understand the reasons why it is difficult for an app for one to work with
the other.

Pass this on to Steve.  I do not remember who made the comment (you or
Steve) about not understanding the difficulty in just recompiling the code.
There are a couple of conversion programs available for Objective-C to Java.
As you will read, not simple. This all may be too much information, however,
it was fun for me to research.

Hope this helps you and Steve understand the difficulties.

Ron