[nfbcs] FW: compiling iPhone apps to Android apps

Nicole Torcolini ntorcolini at wavecable.com
Sun Mar 29 03:45:23 UTC 2015

I have a few things to say on this topic. First, as some people have already
said, one of the reasons that I have an iPhone is because there are certain
apps that I use that are not available on Android. However, I am sure that
the same is true for some Android users. Second, I think that we need to
remember that TalkBack is much younger than VoiceOver, and it may be
developing at a slower rate, but that does not mean that it will never catch
up with VoiceOver. Given that most people probably get a new smart phone
every two or three, four at the most years, it is not like you are
committing to one or the other. If you have one, but are considering the
other, then it might be a good idea to try to find someone who would let you
experiment with his/hers for a while. Third, no matter how stable or
accessible a system or screen reader is, I think that it is also important
to consider how a company treats its customers. I am starting to doubt
Apple; several new accessibility bugs that have not been fixed were
introduced with iOS 8, and I know from other sources that there are several
older standing issues that have not been addressed. Finally, unless we
actually work at a company, we cannot know what is really going on there.
Even if accessibility is bad, that does not mean that nothing is happening.
Also remember that companies often try to keep information from being
shared, so if one company wants to make something that performs the same way
that something from another company behaves, the company is probably going
to have to figure out for itself how to do it.

Nicole