[nfbcs] Counting parentheses

Gary Wunder gwunder at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 26 20:25:16 UTC 2015

If I had only known while I still had hair@!

-----Original Message-----
From: nfbcs [mailto:nfbcs-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Brian Buhrow via
nfbcs
Sent: Monday, October 26, 2015 12:51 PM
To: NFB in Computer Science Mailing List
Cc: Brian Buhrow; Tracy Carcione
Subject: Re: [nfbcs] Counting parentheses

	hello.  If you use an editor like vim, vi, or one of the other vi
clones for editing your source files, the % command, when in command mode,
will help you keep track of parenthesis, braces, brackets and anything else
that has a left side and a right side.  What you do is put your cursor on a
parenthesis, bracket, brace or what ever it is you want to check and, while
in command mode, press the % key.  (That's shift 5 on most modern
keyboards.).  The editor will then move your cursor to the matching opposite
symbol.  If there is no matching symbol, because they're out of balance,
your cursor won't move and you'll get a beep.  This feature has saved me
countless hours, and, I dare say, has preserved much of my hair.

-thanks
-Brian