[nfbcs] Advice for presentation - Pair Programming for blind and low vision developers

Christopher Chaltain chaltain at gmail.com
Sat Feb 20 18:00:19 UTC 2016

I've never worked in a paired programming setting, and it's been a while
since I've programmed for anything other than my own hobbies, but I
found the right IDE could go a long way towards helping with this
situation. The last time I programmed a lot, in PERL, KSH, AWK, LISP, C,
C++, Java and Rexx, I used Emacs. One feature I found invaluable was
folding mode. It basically collapsed all of the code and showed it to
you in an outline format. Just by pressing enter I could collapse or
expand blocks of code. This helped me understand the overall structure
of the code and made it easy for me to navigate and jump to the block of
code I was interested in. Other features, such as links to the compiler
and code search tools like CScope, also made it easy to jump between
bugs and corresponding lines of code as well as finding where a routine
or variable was being used throughout the code. As I said, this has been
a while, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Christopher (CJ)
chaltain at Gmail