[nfbcs] Magnified emacs + emacspeak

Karthik Balasubramanian kartbala at gmail.com
Sat Feb 27 22:09:57 UTC 2016

Hello all,

I'm a PhD student and have Stargardt's. Over the past 10 years, I've been
trying out different magnification and screenreader setups on both Windows
and OS X and I think I've settled on a combination of magnified emacs (I
like the potential for a totally uncluttered large font computing
experience for coding and context) and emacspeak (I like the potential to
listen to content with a significant amount of text). Does anyone on the
list use this setup? I've been slowly learning emacs and emacspeak on my
Mac.

The first thing I'm going to try to transition completely to emacs/peak is
email. I have all of my email forwarded to gmail, so I'm just trying to get
an email client that basically replicates the web interface of gmail. I've
been trying to get Gnus to work but I keep running into some issues (I'm
also open to other clients like mu4e). A few things I can't figure out how
to do (because I'm a complete beginner!):

* Open inbox directly (rather than needing to select from list of groups)
* Have sorting like gmail (chronologically, with most recent at top)
* The inbox message list having truncated fields to maximize use of limited
magnified real estate (e.g. 23-Feb FromField(2) Emacs Ques)
* Conversation view (may not be possible)
* Offline downloading of only select groups for messages for a certain
duration (e.g. for the past year)

Eventually, I'd love to migrate other computing tasks, such as my
calendaring from the Google Calendar webapp to org-mode and accessing
general web content (e.g Wikipedia) from Chrome to eww. Would love to get
in touch with anyone who's been down this path before!

Thank you!
Karthik

--
Karthik Balasubramanian