[nfbcs] flatbed scanner recommendation

Rasmussen, Lloyd lras at loc.gov
Mon Jan 4 19:40:16 UTC 2016

At home I use an Epson V100 scanner. It has worked in Windows XP, and now I use it in Windows 7 with Omnipage 19. It interfaces using USB, rather than SCSI. It comes with software that pre-scans the page to determine whether this is a set of photos, a color document or a B&W document. It then sends it along to Omnipage. It is several years old, and replaces an HP SCSI scanner which I bought back in 1996. I'm sure it is long out of production, but the price was somewhere below $200.
If Tesseract can deal with color images, I would look for a scanner that can do color or grey-scale at 300 or 400 dots per inch. Conventional wisdom used to be that this was the sweet spot for good OCR. A higher resolution may only increase the amount of noise superimposed on the printed characters.

Lloyd Rasmussen, Senior Staff Engineer
National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped, Library of Congress
Washington, DC 20542   202-707-0535
http://www.loc.gov/nls/
The preceding opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of the Library of Congress, NLS.