[nfbcs] Computer Science Career Questions

John G Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Mon Jan 4 20:28:22 UTC 2016

I'm thinking about what my blind friends do. One is a lawyer. One ownes
a catering business, lots of them are unemployed. I would say that an IT
career is probably easier for a blind person than most careers.

I think the one big thing you need to look out for if you are a blind IT
guy is getting backwatered. That's my term for this phenomena where
because you're blind and because the new stuff is almost always
inaccessible at first, you don't get assigned to working on new
projects. Gradually, the stuff you are doing gets older and older and
pretty soon, you're only expertise is in obsolete systems. I personally
know several blind IT professionals who lost their jobs that way. It
almost happened to me but I recognized the problem in time and taught
myself linux systems admin. IMO, the best way to avoid getting
backwatered is to learn the new stuff on your own in your spare time.

To be fair, sighted people get backwatered too. And I know blind IT
people who have done the same job for 20 years. I think those jobs are
few and far between in IT though. I think you need to be prepared for
having problems keeping up with the latest and greatest technology. But
any career is going to have challenges for a blind person. The world is
not designed for us.

I do linux support for the Math Department at the University of
Wisconsin and I love it. I almost never have accessibility issues
dealing with linux systems. It's a little bit of everything -- some
hardware, soome programming, operating system installs on workstations
and servers. I do a lot of math but you don't usually have to know any
math to do linux systems support.