[nfbcs] STEM accessibility

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Thu Jan 7 13:29:24 UTC 2016

Hi Aakash.
I don't know what kinds of services are available for blind people in India.
In the US, I would tell you to get hooked up with your state agency that
serves blind people, or an NFB center, and they would teach you the
techniques blind people use, like how to use a cane, use a computer with
speech, and how to read and write braille.  You would quite possibly have to
take some time off school to get proficient in the new skills, though you
could make a good start in the summer break between semesters.

I cannot imagine doing serious math or engineering tasks without braille.
For me, it is much easier to review and analyze a line of code or math using
braille than speech alone.
HTH, and good luck.  Learning the new skills you'll need to use to thrive as
a blind person is hard, but, once it's done, you can do well.
Tracy