[nfbcs] Outlook PST files?

Jim Portillo portillo.jim at gmail.com
Sun May 1 16:22:23 UTC 2016

Howdy,

I'm not sure of the answer to this question, so before I go experimenting
and problem solving on someone else's computer, I thought I'd ask the
experts.

I'm helping someone set up a laptop.  While it came with MS Office, it came
with the version that does not have Outlook on it.  I know that I can
install Windows Live mail, from Windows Live Essentials.  That's very
similar to Outlook.  I kind of think of it as the little brother to Outlook.

Anyway, if this person was using outlook on a different computer and was
able to get a PST file with all of his messages and contacts and such, would
it be possible to somehow load or import the stuff on to the new computer
and have Windows Live mail read it?

In doing a brief scan of Windows Live Mail, I'm not exactly sure how that
would be done.

If this is possible, are there any precautions I need to take?  Everything
is saved onto a thumb drive, so no danger there.

I'm all for problem solving and experimenting, but when it's not my computer
and I'm helping someone else who doesn't have much patience or isn't very
facile with technology, I want to be careful and do things as well as
possible.

Thanks much.

Jim