[nfbcs] How many of you got CS jobs through cold interviews?

Joshua Hori jhori at ucdavis.edu
Wed May 25 21:25:06 UTC 2016

Hello Amanda,

Do you have some kind of portfolio to share with job prospects? That's always helpful.

There's plenty of jobs available out there where developers don't have any information on how to make their apps accessible. Say that you'd be willing to work with developers to come up with new features and ensure that they are accessible to assistive technologies. Don't go after the comfort jobs, go after ALL of them and inform them you can assist with 508/WCAG 2.0 compliance. A federal mandate. You are more valuable than you realize at the moment. Especially to the small start-up businesses.

Interviews are never pointless. You learn something new from every interview you participate in. How to answer, how to react, how to respond, what questions should I ask at the end of the interview, should I look up this company in google before the interview, Do you interact well with the interviewers, and so on. All of it is experience to become a better interviewee. I was horrible at my first few interviews, but I'm a champ at them now. I'm also not as nervous anymore.

No one will know your skills or that you need a job if you stay home. If nothing else, create small programs which fit the business needs of small companies around you.

Best,

Joshua