[nfbcs] How many of you got CS jobs through cold interviews?

Jeanine Lineback jeanine.lineback at gmail.com
Thu May 26 01:56:52 UTC 2016

Congratulations Amanda! I knew you were close to graduating but wasn't sure how close.
There are plenty of computer science meet up groups in Austin. That is one of the ways I made the connections for the job I currently have. I attended regularly to the Austin excess ability and inclusive design meet up group. It's a group for developers and designers and those of us who work in excess ability to do presentation so they can learn about the field. Also, we help them understand the importance of making their apps and websites accessible for people with disabilities.
If you're a little unsure of getting involved and meet up groups maybe you could go with me to one of these meetings in the near future. Also, there are plenty of other computer science related meet up groups in Austin. The meet up app is pretty accessible as well on the iPhone. If you use an iPhone, I really don't know. :-) Anyway, congratulations again.
It's definitely worth doing interviews even if they don't pan out. Sometimes, you can be surprised by what you learn. Also, you never know you might actually get another lead from an interview you do that has happened to me before. In addition, the Texas workforce commission will help you put together a portfolio and/or resume for free.

I hope this helps and I wish you all the best. Stay in touch. Jeanine