[nfbcs] Linux questions. With orca.

Mike Gorse mike at straddlethebox.org
Mon Nov 7 17:26:26 UTC 2016

On Mon, 7 Nov 2016, ronak shah via nfbcs wrote:

> 1- I have been useing ubuntu 14.04 vinux distribution for a while, but it
> frankly dint match my expectations, can you suggest me a good linux which
> will mostly help me with the technical stuff.

Note that 14.04 is a couple years old right now, so you might want to try
something newer. If you want to elaborate in terms of how it didn't meet
your expectations, then I might be able to help more.

> 2- for java editer, I have tried to use eclipse 3.8 version but the
> graphical user interface of Java does not work in eclipse mainly the output
> of the GUI.

Not sure on this one--haven't tried Eclipse.

> 3- libreoffice for PowerPoint presentations is not at all accessible for me
> with orca for some reason, I dont realy understand why.

I feel like I tried to use it a couple of years ago and also had trouble
with it. I'm not sure if things have improved since then, or if I wasn'[[t
using it correctly. I ended up writing an outline, writing a perl script
to convert the outline to a series of html slides, and loading the slides
in firefox, rather than trying to use impress. There is also an orca list;
you could try asking on there: