[nfbcs] [program-l] Re: Communication with people who don't use screen readers

Martin, Vincent F vincent.martin at gatech.edu
Tue Oct 11 20:00:37 UTC 2016

I like this suggestion.  I tried to drag people into the Windows environment back in 1994 and many balked.  I was born with Retinitis Pigmentosa and learned to program on a Cyber main-frame using Fortran when I could still see.  The first pc I ever used was the tears 80 and then the Commodore64.  I literally did get to visually see the old Xerox STAR machine.  I actually used the original Macintosh in 1984 before I ever booted up a IBM PC.  Since I knew what GUI's looked like, I had absolutely no difficulty in working in them.  I can easily see why many people have to have detailed tactile maps to understand what is actually being displayed on the screen.  Having a person that is sighted describe the screen is extremely beneficial.
My actual graduate research is attempting to use sonified graphs with SPSS to allow blind people more access to Statistical data with a GUI driven program.  I have read enough documentation to make my ears and eyes hurt, but still have to rely on sighted description of what is going on the screen.  I actually have a Cognitive task analysis starting on Thursday using sighted undergraduate users of the program.  The goal is to see how they actually use the program and what they are looking at on the screen to make their decisions.