[nfbcs] Scratch from M I T

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Thu Sep 1 21:37:31 UTC 2016

Taylor,

How you address this probably is determined by why you are taking the
course.  Most intro courses explore multiple ways of programming and there
is a chance that this is just one section of your course.  If you think you
will be pursuing studies involved with computers, it isn't a bad idea to
learn how systems like this work.  It would mean that you would need to work
with a reader or other assistant to understand how the system works well
enough to instruct that person as to what needs to be done.  During my
career, as I've said here before, I have had to learn some inaccessible
systems so that I could make appropriate decisions as to when they should be
used on projects.

On the other hand, if this is just a requirement that you want to get
through. It should be reasonable to explore with the professor an
alternative project.  In general, NotePad++ is accessible but not all of the
plug-ins for it are very accessible.  However, mentioning that program says
to me that you will be doing some programming that is text-based.

Good luck, and if you have more specific questions we'll try to help.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson