[nfbcs] Optacon thoughts

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Wed Sep 14 17:26:35 UTC 2016

There have been several attempts to develop a modern Optacon over the past
ten years or so.  However, to my knowledge, nothing has come of it.  I still
use one and there is just nothing that gives one the same kind of
information.  However, many people can get what they need through OCR and/or
the KNFB reader, and coordinating the tracking of a line of print is a more
difficult process than one would think so many people were not able to use
an Optacon effectively.  Also, the cost of an Optacon, around $3,000 in
1974, was expensive.  An attempt was made in the later 1970's to make a
second generation Optacon with parts that were mor standard and which used
more digital circuitry.  However, it just did not work as well even though
the physical design was better.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson