[nfbcs] Thinking about ordering a Raspberry pi but have a few questions

Tony Malykh anton.malykh at gmail.com
Tue Aug 1 00:37:41 UTC 2017

Hi Ryan,

The mechanical operations (placing the RPI in the plastic case,
connecting to USB power source and inserting an SD card) should all be
easy enough.

Similarly to Aaron, I only use my Raspberry Pi through SSH, so I don't
know about screenreaders in Linux. I can tell you what I know.

First you'll need to prepare and SD card: you will flash it with an
image of Raspbian, that is a slightly modified version of Debian. This
step is fully accessible from another computer. That would let you to
boot up your raspberry pi. I don't iknow if there is any way to turn
on a screen reader at this point. But, there is a way to turn on SSH
access. So in the worst case, you can log in by SSH and install a
screen reader manually.

I think you should ask on raspberry pi forums. They are aware that
blind people exist in this world, because one of they utilities
(raspi-config) used to be very hard-to-use for a blind person, but I
saw someone complained there and they made it more acce4ssible.

Also I need to mention that the built-in sound card is really really
bad, so you'd rater buy a USB sound card (less than 10 dollars on
amazon).

Tony