[nfbcs] Research

David Tseng davidct1209 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 16:12:12 UTC 2017

On Thu, Feb 23, 2017 at 7:05 AM, John Heim via nfbcs <nfbcs at nfbnet.org>
wrote:
I don't think you can make generalizations based on the size of the school.
You can run into an uncooperative instructor anywhere. It can even depend
on who happens to be chair of the department at the time. If you run into
an uncooperative instructor, is the department chair or dean of students
going to care? Some do and some don't. I have heard stories from students
at other institutions that would shock any instructor here at the
University of Wisconsin.

I don't think I generalized. My first sentence was it highly depends on the
university. When the course work is using inaccessible platforms to teach
or when the alternative is to have a freshman learn an entirely different
toolchain or workflow, it does seem to be problematic. This is when the
pace of undergraduate course loads starts at day one (first semester).
There's really no wiggle room unless you plan on staying in undergrad for 6
years.

I can agree with your point about the competition though. I used to give a
mini-course on latex at the beginning of each school year. But fewer and
fewer people came to it and we finally stopped doing it. Kids come in
already knowing latex or they have to pick it up on their own. I'm glad I'm
not a student any more. The amount of partying I did would never cut it
these days.

Yes. Didn't do too much of that :).