[nfbcs] Research

Joseph C. Lininger devnull-nfbcs at pcdesk.net
Fri Feb 24 12:31:16 UTC 2017

Amanda,
Worth while is the point I'm disagreeing with you on. Pretty much any
degree is "doable", but as you point out with some there's no point
because you won't be able to learn or do anything with that degree once
you finish. That doesn't just apply to blind people either; there are
worthless degrees out there.

What I am arguing is that it is in fact worth while. I studied computer
science at a couple of schools. In both cases, I was able to learn the
material and I was able to complete most of the course work. There were
a couple of situations where I needed some extra help, and there were a
couple of major assignments I can remember where the professor had me do
an alternative assignment. In those cases, it wasn't because I couldn't
do the work in question, it was because the visual aspects weren't the
point of the assignment and I could get the same information by doing
something else.

As for whether the degree is worth while from a career perspective,
well, you can have quite a lengthy discussion on that particular
question. As someone who has worked in the field for years, both with
and without a CS degree, what I will say about it is this. If you want
to work in the computer science field, as in the deep technical aspects
of it and not just as a network admin or help desk rep or something like
that, you almost have to have a computer science degree these days. It
is possible to get hired as a software developer or other highly
technical job without the degree, but it is not easy and the best jobs
go to those with the degree.

--
Joe