[nfbcs] Beware of DIgitalOcean

Mike Gorse mike at straddlethebox.org
Tue Jan 3 19:57:31 UTC 2017

I'd been using DigitalOcean to host a vps. I tried to upgrade the system,
and something went wrong such that it won't boot, or doesn't set up
networking correctly. I went to try to access the console on Linux, and,
with most of the OS/browser/screen reader combinations I tried, I got a
"canvas not supported" error. Even if I didn't see this error, I suspect
that they're using the html5 canvas element and that the console
interface wouldn't be accessible.

Not looking into their mechanism for accessing the console before signing
up was a big mistake. You don't need access to the console until you do.
I'm switching to linode, since they provide a ssh gateway for accessing
the server's console, and it turns out to be a better fit for me
regardless.