[nfbcs] ubuntu server with speakup

Jack Heim john at johnheim.com
Fri Jun 30 16:19:01 UTC 2017

It occurs to me that by "built in", the OP was probably asking if the
speakup kernel modules are built into the ubuntu server kernel. The
answer is that they are. To use software speech, you only need to
install the espeakup package, "apt-get install espeakup".

I haven't tried ubuntu zesty (17.04) but the ubuntu server yakkety
install did not have speech. But you can install ubuntu desktop and
change it to server. In fact, ubuntu server and desktop now use the same
kernel so there isn't much point in switching from desktop to server
unless you want to save disk space by removing the gui. On the other
hand, on a server, you might want to stay in the cli and use speakup.
That's what I do on most of the servers I manage. But leaving the gui on
there and using orca is a valid option too.