[nfbcs] ubuntu server with speakup

Jack Heim john at johnheim.com
Fri Jun 30 16:56:30 UTC 2017

Over the years I've done a variety of things. I used to use debian
exclusively because of the talking install. I'd get a nice system that
came up talking and without all the graphical stuff. I still use that
for most of the stuff I do at home. At work I usually do an ubuntu
server install via an auto installer called fai, for "fully automated
install". But I no longer see any advantage to ubuntu server over
debian. I've started switching machines back from ubuntu server to plain
old debian. I also manage 2 servers that I set up by installing ubuntu
desktop and switching to server. There are plenty of howtos out there
but you'd better have a bootable thumb drive handy before you try it. I
would recommend just settling for getting rid of X11 and everything that
depends on it.  Or just install ubuntu desktop and run it like a server.

BTW, I just upgraded the desktop I'm typing this message on from ubuntu
xenial to zesty. It loads the kernel module for my doubletalk hardware
speech synth but it doesn't talk. The speakup kernel modules are under
active development and some of the fixes have made their way into the
ubuntu kernel. At the moment, they may have made it slighty worse
because I used to know how to hack the kernel code to make my doubletalk
work.  Fortunately, I don't really need it on a desktop.

Jack Heim, john at johnheim.com