[nfbcs] braille display recommendations

williamsturgell at gmail.com williamsturgell at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 13:16:47 UTC 2018

     Hi Taylor,
     I too am an on coming freshman who plans to major in Computer Science, and recently went through the process of choosing a braille display that I thought would be beneficial for the type of tasks I would need one for. After doing some research, I ended up going with the Focus 40 Blue 5th Generation. It works like a charm, and has extra buttons that allows for more options for commands. You can have it connected to five different devices, and switch between them without having to go through a paring process (which is really convenient), and it has a built in note taker built in, and you can move notes back and forth from your computer to the display. If you have BARD, you can also download books right to the display from your computer as well.

     I guess my advice, for what it's worth, would be to purchase a 40 cell model of which ever display you decide to go with. Personally, I think that anything smaller is going to be a pain to deal with when reading code in braille.

     Good luck!
     William