[nfbcs] Resume of visually impaired software engineer

Tony Malykh anton.malykh at gmail.com
Wed Aug 8 21:46:10 UTC 2018

Hi all,

My name is Tony, I was a software engineer with many years of
experience, until I had to quit 5 years ago when I started to lose my
eyesight. Now I have learned screenreaders and I'm ready to start
working again. However, I need to explain somehow 5 years gap in my
employment. I was wondering if you guys can suggest me what's the right
way to do it?

Currently I have in my resume:

### September 2013 - present: Not working due to health concerns
* Worked on open source projects
* Took online   classes in computer science and related fields

Is this description good? Should I mention that I'm visually impaired
explicitly? Or should I try to conceal even the health concerns part? Is
there anything else I can change in my resume to make it look better to
potential employers?

And also, when should I tell them that I'm visually impaired? In the
beginning? Right before the onsite interview? Or just come to the
interview with white cane?

Any suggestions will be appreciated!

Tony