[nfbcs] Inconsistent Philosophy

Peter Donahue pdonahue2 at satx.rr.com
Mon Aug 13 19:53:16 UTC 2018

Hello Denise and everyone,

	All of this discussion is causing me to bring up one of the issues that caused us to step back from the NFB. That is the inconsistancies members often experienced between what they hear at national conventions and that at local chapter meetings. NFB members be they blind individuals, parents of blind children, and blindness professionals spend thousands of dollars to attend the national convention and hear the message that "The blind can do anything the sighted can in school with the right technology." If the NFB was consistent across all federation entities whether you participate in discussions hosted on the NFB's mailing lists, attend the national convention or a local chapter meeting the message must be the same "The blind can do anything the sighted can in school with the right technology."

	If we had blind children who attended the national convention be told something like "Blind people can become guide dog trainers" They better be hearing that same message at local chapter meetings and other NFB gatherings.

	Inconsistencies in the organization's message heard at the national convention and that heard at local chapter meetings had better be the same or we wouldn't appreciate someone in the local chapter who may have also attended the national convention undermining the message our blind friends and children were given at a national convention or an NFB training center a message we spent thousands of dollars for our blind children to hear.

	The one strength of our business network is that the ideals taught and the message heard at local gatherings in our case they're called info sessions and at our major conferences is consistent at all levels "You can be successful and achieve your wildest dream." Likewise no matter if an NFB List like this, a local chapter meeting or the national convention blind kids, students, their parents, and blindness professionals need to hear the same message "A blind person can use Microsoft Excel to perform the same exercises and job tasks done by their sighted peers."

Peter Donahue