[nfbcs] Developing Audiogames with C++

Lanie Molinar laniemolinar91 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 14 01:22:49 UTC 2018

Hi again, everyone. I emailed the list yesterday about working with
OpenGL. Once I learned from some of you that there's not really an
accessible way of working with it and that programming with it as a
blind person would be really difficult or impossible, I emailed my
professor. He got back to me this morning and said that the rest of the
course uses OpenGL. I'm in week 6 of the course, which is 14 weeks long,
so I still have a long way to go in it. I haven't heard back from the
disability services office, but my professor had a suggestion. He
suggested that instead of working with the rest of the class, which will
be using graphics, I could create audio versions of the games we'll be
programming. I'm willing to do this, but since I've never created an
audiogame and won't have the help of my classmates and the discussion
boards, I need a little help. He sent me links to a couple libraries he
thought I might be able to use, but I'm not really sure how to use them.
The email he sent me is below:
The rest of the course uses opengl. I didn't see that coming, it will
definitely be an issue for you. Maybe you start designing some games
that are sound based. Here are a couple libraries I found that might be
useful. Please see if either of these might be accessible to you that
you might use for creating sound objects. You might be able to create a
moon lander game that has audio alerts and thruster noises that tell if
a ship is landing properly.
https://www.libsdl.org/
https://www.sfml-dev.org/index.php
I have a few questions. Have any of you developed audiogames with C++?
If so, do you have any suggestions on getting started? Also, I
downloaded the libraries he mentioned, but I'm not really sure how to
use them in my code. Do I just #include the .lib files at the top of my
code, or do I have to include all the individual.h files? I would really
appreciate any help on this. Thanks.

---
http://www.avg.com