[nfbcs] Complaint against Epic

Jack Heim john at johnheim.com
Thu Jul 19 16:45:51 UTC 2018

I coined a term for this, "back watering" or "getting back watered".

This happens often enough in many fields, like hospital administration,
but it is even more common in IT jobs. In many IT jobs, systems change
constantly. New systems tend to have accessibility issues. So the blind
programmer or systems administrator is assigned to keep the old systems
running for as long as that is necessary. But, of course, by definition
that means he will not be kept up to date on the newest technolgy. He
finds himself in a technological back water.

A few years ago, a bunch of us got together and created something called
the International Association Of Visually Impaired Technologists to try
to fight this. See www.iavit.org or email me if interested.