[nfbcs] Questions regarding JAWS and NVDA

Doug Lee dgl at dlee.org
Thu May 10 17:06:14 UTC 2018

Addressing the comment that NVDA cannot be scripted for problematic workplace applications:

I have been scripting JAWS professionally for 18 years and still enjoy doing so. In its time, I also scripted Window-Eyes a time or two for a work situation. Within the last few months, I have completed a contract for scripting
NVDA for a workplace application as well. Work on the addon is ongoing; but it is currently available for use and/or inspection under http://www.cisco.com/go/accessibility

The last of these may come as a surprise to some. In truth, I found it to be something of a process connecting commercial and open-source interests; but it was, and remains, my hope that this effort will open doors for further
workplace scripting of NVDA for situations where it makes sense.

I wish briefly to pause and commend Cisco for funding this initial effort. Jabber is a telecommunications application primarily found in work environments, similar to (and in competition with) Skype For Business and other
similar applications.  At a personal level (i.e., this is Doug Lee speaking, not Cisco or Level Access), I prefer not to force a screen reader user to switch screen readers in order to do a job. Therefore, though I am far more
seasoned at JAWS scripting, I was glad to be able to prepare this initial offering for NVDA users, with some help from the open-source NVDA development community. I believe Cisco has broken ground with this effort in the area
of NVDA support for commercial applications. Again at a personal level, I also believe that the existence of VoiceOver, advances in Narrator, and the increasing viability of NVDA in high-demand situations is truly raising the
importance of a multi-screen-reader view on accessibility and usability.

All that said though, I agree with and actively defend Curtis's last comment: Rehab agencies must still address the current landscape, which includes JAWS being more ready, at this instant, than other choices to handle a wide
array of workplace applications, many of which are custom or customized for specific situations and companies. I say this landscape is changing, but it remains as Curtis called it right now.