[nfbcs] [EXTERNAL] Re: Laptop without bloatware

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Wed May 23 16:08:21 UTC 2018

Sarah,

Yes, I did install my screen readers myself.  In my case, I first turned on
the Narrator screen reader by pressing CONTROL and Windows Key with ENTER
and used that to get the installation of JAWS started.  I had a file that
was downloaded that I first copied to my new computer and then started it.
If you purchase JAWS and have the CD, the install process will talk even
without a screen reader running, usually by just inserting the CD.  However,
this ability to automatically run software from a CD or DVD that is inserted
is sometimes turned off for security reasons.  .  If you have NVDA
downloaded but not installed, it will also talk during the installation but
you either need Narrator running to find the installation file to get it
started or there are other tricks you could use.  Although Narrator is
becoming a pretty good screen reader, it is enough different that using it
ahead of time is a good idea.  I gather there is going to be some Narrator
training at the NFB national convention, and this would be very helpful even
if one primarily uses another screen reader.  Narrator has the additional
utility to be available during certain Windows repair functions where other
screen readers might not be able to function.

It is good to have multiple options available.  In my case, I used
Window-Eyes until its development ended and now JAWS because those programs
worked on some older software I needed to use at work where NVDA and
Narrator did not work.  There are cases, though, where NVDA may be the best
screen reader to use, but for my purposes, I think JAWS is worth the money.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson