[nfbcs] [EXTERNAL] Re: 40-cell braille display

Edwards, Sarah H. Sarah.H.Edwards at ssa.gov
Tue Apr 9 18:26:33 UTC 2019

Curtis,,

Would you send Email to my personal Email: sarah.h.edwards at ssa.gov?

Sarah

-----Original Message-----
From: nfbcs <nfbcs-bounces at nfbnet.org> On Behalf Of Curtis Chong via nfbcs
Sent: Tuesday, April 09, 2019 12:03 PM
To: 'NFB in Computer Science Mailing List' <nfbcs at nfbnet.org>
Cc: Curtis Chong <chong.curtis at gmail.com>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: [nfbcs] 40-cell braille display

Hello Tracy:

I am afraid that there are no longer any 40-cell displays that just function as displays. At least, my research has not uncovered any.

The two top contenders in the marketplace, both priced at $2,995, seem to be the HumanWare Brailliant BI 40 <https://store.humanware.com/hus/brailliant-bi-40-new-generation.html>  and the Vispero Focus 40 Blue 5th Generation <https://www.freedomscientific.com/products/blindness/focus40brailledisplay/
> .

Although Freedom Scientific is a longstanding company, having been around for a very long time, I have been involved in situations where older models of its braille displays are no longer supported-models like the original Focus 40. On the plus side, prices have gone down over the years even though
$2,995 is still quite a bit of change for those of us who have to buy this on our own.

If I were still working and really needed a braille display for my job, my recommendation would be to acquire a Focus Blue 40 Fifth Generation.

Cordially,

Curtis Chong