[nfbcs] Accessibility of Eclipse and How to Debug and use code completion

Tony Malykh anton.malykh at gmail.com
Sun Apr 21 22:24:43 UTC 2019

Hi Timothy,
I have successfully used Eclipse to debug code in Java and Python.
Debugging C++ is more complicated, I believe it is still doable. but  It
takes some time to figure out all the options, but once you have all of
them correct, debugging will make your life easier. It is almost accessible.
The main problem with debugging with screenreader is that it wouldn't
tell you if there's a breakpoint set on a current line. Or if current
statement is in current line it wouldn't tell you either. ( was using
Eclipse with NVDA, please let me know if I'm wrong and there is a way to
make NVDA announce breakpoints and current execution statement, or if
Jaws can do that.)
But these are things you can infer from other sources. There is
breakpoints window in eclipse where you can see all your currrent
breakpoints. As for current line of execution, you just need to keep in
mind that once you step through the code, it will take your cursor
there. So if your cursor has jumped somewhere after you pressed "Step
over" command for example, that means that current statement has
advanced to wherever your cursor has jumped.
Then there is Expressions view in eclipse where you can check the values
of your variables. Then there is Debug view where you can see all your
threads and their stacktraces if they are paused. You can also infer
current point of execution from this debug window.
I cannot say much about code completion as I don't use it myself. I have
tried it with Pydev in eclipse and I found it egregiously annoying as it
would try to insert keywords that I don't need too often, so I always
disable it. Java autocompletion might be better.

Best
Tony