[NFBCS] Linux users

Jack Heim john at johnheim.com
Mon Aug 5 16:46:22 UTC 2019

No, you don't have to specify speakup with every command. Quite the
contrary, speakup starts talking earlier than any other screen reader in
any operating system. Speakup is part of the linux kernel so you can get
speach while the system is booting.  After that, it just keeps talking
as long as you remain in the character user interface.

But I think you have gotten some really bad advice in this thread. Don't
get me wrong, speakup is great. But it is a huge mistake to give up on
the graphical user interface. You may get a slightly better terminal
experience but you have to give up on all the GUI apps like gedit,
Thunderbird, and Firefox. There is no way editing files in vim is as
efficient as it is in gedit. I said you might get a slightly better
terminal experience but I don't actually think you will. I don't
understand why people have a problem with gnome-terminal. I use it
constantly every day and I wouldn't use anything else. If you don't like
gnome-terminal, you can try any of the gazillion other terminal apps for
linux, xterm, terminator, guak, etc.

For Linux systems administration, your best bet is to use a GUI terminal
emulator like  gnome-terminal or terminator in combination with a access
a remote file system like sshfs or samba. Say your are configuring a web
server. Mount the config space on the web server via sshfs. This allows
you to use a GUI text editor like gedit to modify the config files. Then
you can restart the web server at the command line in the terminal
emulator. This is so efficient that I often work from home one or two
days a week.