[nfbcs] PDF with words run together

Doug Lee dgl at dlee.org
Mon Feb 11 13:39:15 UTC 2019

I would call the following answer something between an explanation and an educated guess.

I believe that when a PDF document is not "tagged," which means marked up for assistive technology, it is difficult for programs to figure out things like where a word starts and ends, what is a heading versus a paragraph
versus a table, etc. Sometimes, the guesswork programs use in such a case can be wrong. In print nowadays, the size of a character, and even the width of a space between words, can vary.

You might try changing the reading order, which should be an option you see when Acrobat launches. "Infer reading order from document" is usually the default, but there are two alternatives.