[nfbcs] help with java access bridge

Timothy Breitenfeldt timothyjb310 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 21 15:44:51 UTC 2019

Hi Samson, I don't know a lot about the java access bridge, but I do
know how to enable it. the java access bridge comes prepackaged with
the latest versions of java, all you have to do is enable it. First,
if you have not already, you will need to download java. I am not sure
if you can get away with just downloading the java run time or if you
have to download the java JDK. The JDK is for if you want to develop
java programs, which is what I am most familiar with. There is
supposed to be a way to enable the java access bridge from the control
panel in Ease of Access, but I was never able to find the setting in
Windows 10, and I don't know about Windows 7.
If you have the JDK installed, I know that you can go to:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jdk1.8.0_181\jre\bin

or something similar if your JDK is a different version. Inside that
folder is a bunch of executable and libraries, you are looking for:

jabswitch.exe

You need to open the command prompt in this directory. Tip, if you
opened the directory in file explorer, a quick way to open the command
prompt in that directory is to press
alt+d, then type cmd and press enter.
 and run the command:

jabswitch /enable

You should get the output:

The Java Access Bridge has been enabled.

Not sure why you would want to, but likewise, you can run:

jabswitch /disable

to disable the java access bridge.
It should work now. I have had problems recently with swing
applications not working with jaws for some reason with the java
access bridge enabled, not sure if it is just my machine, or if it is
some versioning problems.

Hope it works,

TJ Breitenfeldt