[nfbcs] One Quick Question: Writing Math and Calculus Symbols on the PC

Louis Maher ljmaher03 at outlook.com
Fri Jun 21 22:24:44 UTC 2019

Hello Jim,

I have not used MathType that much.    Here is a part of a note from Neil Soiffer and Doug Miron.

---
You can use Word+NVDA+MathPlayer+MathType to author and read math if you are willing to learn the math component of LaTeX. If you already have a document with math in it, then the above combination will work for *reading *and navigating the math by speech. If you want to author math, then in Word you can type in some LaTeX between $ $ and use MathType to convert that into MathType math (so it looks nice), which can then be spoken and navigated. Given that it is easy to make a mistake in LaTeX, hearing the math gives you a way to know that you have typed it correctly. If you didn't, then you covert it back into LaTeX and edit it and listen again.

FYI: changing between LaTeX and vice-versa is done with "Toggle TeX" which has the keyboard shortcut alt+\. As the name "Toggle" implies, alt+\ will also change the MathType equation back to TeX.

Here is a concrete example, if you want to write "the integral from 0 to 10 of x times e to the negative 2x power, d x", you would type into Word:
$\int_0^{10} x e^{-2 x} dx$ alt+\

Press left arrow to move before the math to make NVDA read the math to you.
If you made a mistake, type alt+\ and move right to edit the LaTeX.

FYI: when I initially typed the example, I made a common TeX error of not putting the "10" inside of {}s. Be careful to add braces to any subscript or superscript that is more than one character.

Neil Soiffer

Use insert equations to start entering an equation.

under home paragraph put exact line spacing for accurate latex hearing.

----
I don't use the alt-backslash before typing LaTex. I've been successful starting the LaTex with $ then typing \begin{equation} or \begin{align}, typing
the equations, \end{...}, $. Then, with the cursor on the $, I use alt+backslash to convert to math symbols. Before I do the conversion, I copy the equation(s)
to the clipboard in case of errors, beccaise I can't reverse the conversion to get the :aTex bacl/ I'm using Windows 10, Word 2016, MathType 6.9 and MathPlayer,
current version. Good luck.

Regards,

Doug Miron
---