[nfbcs] Set up Windows using Narrator?

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at outlook.com
Wed May 22 15:48:11 UTC 2019

Tracy,

If you are getting a new computer and Windows is installed on it, I would say the answer is yes.  I have managed to get my last two computers that have been purchased within the past year going by using Narrator.

Having said that, one challenge is that you will not know which version of Windows 10 you are starting with, and Narrator has changed some within Windows 10 versions.  Therefore, it makes some sense to be ready to use the help files associated with the version of Narrator that you run rather than assuming you can use all commands that you may learn now.  It doesn't seem that uncommon to start with Windows 10, version 1703 or 1709.  I believe, though, that the key combination to start Narrator, Windows key plus Control plus ENTER, has been in place long enough that it should work to start Narrator.  On my latest purchase, there was a sort of audio prompt that started automatically, and that at least let me know when Windows was waiting for me to do something.  Still, I started Narrator pretty quickly in the process to get more feedback.

I did run into a few other oddities that I don't know whether they were unique to me or not.  I found that I could not get the JAWS Installation to start while Narrator was running.  I have seen the same thing with NVDA as well.  Once I started the JAWS Install, I closed Narrator and the JAWS Installation began speaking.  However, if other dialogs separate from JAWS pop up for some reason, the version of JAWS that runs during the install doesn't always speak those dialogs.  It seems to be a more restricted version of JAWS than used to be the case.  Also, when I had JAWS set to start automatically, it didn't start on the  very first boot up after the install completed, but it did start automatically after successive boots.  This could all be something that was unique to my computers, though, and since it only happened in a particular circumstance, I have not tried to duplicate it.

I would be curious to hear the experiences of others.  Good luck to you.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson