[NFBCS] Computer mic recommendations?

Curtis Chong chong.curtis at gmail.com
Thu Nov 7 22:30:30 UTC 2019

Hello Jim:

I have purchased good microphones and cables from Sound Professionals. The
below information represents products which I personally have purchased and
with which I am quite pleased.

Part #: SP-SPSM-1-HS

The SP-SPSM-1-HS is a High-Sensitivity Omnidirectional stereo microphone
that can be plugged directly into the mic input jack of your recorder and
has no cables. It has an optional, removable, black lavaliere style clip
available that can be used to attach the microphone to an article of
clothing such as lapel or necktie or to any convenient mounting surface.

The microphone is very small measuring approximately 1.75" long and 1.5"
wide. The upper portion of the microphone which houses the two microphone
elements consists of high quality brass shell covered in black rubber, and
is approximately 1/4" in diameter. The vertical, lower portion of the mic
which plugs into the recorder is spring loaded to help prevent excess wear
and tear on your recorder's input jacks. Removable premium black foam
windscreens are provided at no additional cost.

In addition, there are several battery modules designed for this microphone
that will give this microphone increased dynamic range and the ability to
record loud sounds. More info on battery modules is located here.

General Information:

The Sound Professionals single point stereo microphones are small, stereo
microphones that can be plugged into any recorder (DAT, MiniDisc or analog)
that supplies bias voltage of between 1.5 and 10 Volts DC at the microphone
input jack, commonly known as "plug in power". Many of the recorders on the
market today include this feature.

When connected to your recorder in this manner, these microphones are
perfect for recording lectures, business meetings, and musical performances
when an easy to setup and use microphone is required. For situations that do
require wider stereo separation, we recommend the Mini Binaurals or Mini
Cardioids.

Battery modules (power supplies)

In certain recording situations, you may need separate power source for your
microphones. Visit our Battery Module FAQ for more info on why you would
want to use battery module. All of the single point stereo microphones are
compatible with any of our battery power modules. See the battery module
page for more details.

Sound Quality

The Sound Professionals microphone systems have an extended frequency
response and very natural and accurate sound, providing deep, solid bass,
smooth midrange and clean highs. They have very wide dynamic range, and will
handle very high sound pressure levels without distortion or clipping. (See
details above for more info). When combined with one of the battery modules,
they are designed to operate into nominal impedance of 10K Ohms.

Made in the USA.

https://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/SP-SPSM-1-HS

Since this does not come with a cable, check out the following.

Part #: SP-SPSC-1

Add the length you need to your microphone or other audio equipment with
this premium quality, double shielded extension cable. Various lengths
available by using the additional length option. Standard length is 72
inches. All other lengths are custom made, require extra time for processing
and are non-returnable. Made in USA.

Features:

- Allows remote use of equipment double shielded Flexible Audio Technica
cable Also available as patch cable (male to male) here
<https://www.soundprofessionals.com/mas_assets/cpanel/htmlarea/popups/analog
patch.html>  3.5mm (1/8") gold plated connections on both ends. Made in USA

I have this microphone and have used it to record meetings. It works very
well and, in my experience, doesn't really need the battery.

Sound Professionals is a very good company.

Cordially,

Curtis Chong