[NFBCS] Computer mic recommendations?

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at outlook.com
Fri Nov 8 02:58:51 UTC 2019

Jim,

I see you have already received a number of recommendations.  My reason for writing is to suggest that you make certain what your laptop supports.  Some have a microphone jack but more and more there is no separate jack.  Some have a headphone jack that includes the support of a microphone such as is found in headsets with microphones.  There are now laptops, though, that do not support a microphone through their own jacks at all.  That seems to be the case with my Dell.  In that case, a USB solution as has been suggested might be your best bet.  You may need to do some work with your sound card settings if you use a USB microphone but want to continue using your laptop speakers, so budget some time to experiment.  This is probably less of an issue with USB Headset/Microphone combinations, though.

I have much more experience with Skype for Business than with Zoom, so I don't know if this applies or not.  Skype for Business is very sensitive to changing audio devices after a connection is made, often going dead rather than following a change.  Although I don't know if that is true of Zoom, it is not a bad practice to have whatever you are going to use connected before connecting to the conference.  Others may have more to say about that, though.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson