[NFBCS] unix speech software:

Mike Gorse mike at straddlethebox.org
Sat Nov 9 03:19:46 UTC 2019

I believe this was meant for the list. I'm still not really sure what you
need, so I'll just discuss the various options. When I google Omnibox, it
appears to be an API to register a keyword with Google Chrome's address
bar.

I haven't used CentOS, but I see no reason that Orca wouldn't work with
it. In theory, it should work on any GNOME-based system, including the
BSDs.

There are various other console screen readers that others have mentioned.
There's Speakup, which is a set of Linux kernel modules (only for Linux).
Yasr is a console screen reader that I wrote a couple decades ago and
should work on any Unix--it was designed not to rely on anything specific
to Linux. It needs a synthesizer to generate speech, as does any screen
reader. I use it in conjunction with eflite. Yasr also theoretically
supports speech-dispatcher, which is the modern program that screen
readers tend to use as a back end to generate speech, but its support
needs some updating that I haven't taken the time to do. I've recently
moved yasr and eflite to github and intend to make any future
improvements there:
https://github.com/mgorse/yasr
https://github.com/mgorse/eflite

Fenrir is another, more modern screen reader for the console. I'm unsure
whether it is tied to Linux.

You shouldn't need an external speech synthesizer nowadays.

If you're logging in to a Unix system remotely and don't need the gui,
then you'd use a ssh client from your computer. These exist for, say,
Windows, so you wouldn't need a Unix screen reader in that case.