[NFBCS] Never Go Live Until The Bugs Are Killed!

Gary Wunder gwunder at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 14 20:01:18 UTC 2019

When I was a computer programmer, we tested our code until we were sick of testing. Normally the things that came up were things that were exposed only through use and the voluminous data that was passed through our newly released system. But this wasn't the case all of the time. Sometimes we released knowing that there were errors, but we saw them as minor errors that did not justify holding back the new release. At other times we did hold back the release because what we found were so significant that we called them showstoppers. I think the thing that concerns me about most software releases is that accessibility, at least as far as I am aware, has never been seen as a showstopper. I don't want to stifle innovation, but I wish that accessibility were viewed in the same way that security is and that we simply wouldn't release with known accessibility errors. I know that in my job as a software developer, whenever we got new tools, my fellow employees look forward to them. They promised new features, and often they delivered. I didn't have the luxury of just looking forward to the new features. I had to figure out what was going to be broken. Seldom wear their new releases in which something significant to me wasn't.