[NFBCS] free virtual machines recommendations

Timothy Breitenfeldt timothyjb310 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 01:42:53 UTC 2020

Hi, I understand your struggles with virtual machines. I personally
use VM Ware Player, however the drawback to this is that you can only
use one VM at a time in the free version, so if you are trying to run
multiple VMs for a networking lab VM Ware Player may not be your best
choice. I have found that VMWare is the most accessible with JAWS and
NVDA over Virtual Box. I was never able to get Virtual Box working
myself, I had the same issue you had with audio. I remember doing
research into it, and I remember that it had something to do with the
default settings in Virtual Box itself I think.

Anyways, to your question on the error about authorization credential
guard in vm ware. I just dealt with this recently, I not sure if I am
remembering the correct solution or not, but if I rmember correctly
you need to disable the Hypervisor in turn windows features on and
off. VM Ware has its own software that communicates to the OS, and I
guess that Hypervisor gets in the way when it is enabled.
To disable it, make sure you are logged in as an admin, and type turn
windows features on and off in to the start menu, then in the treeview
press h to jump to hyper v,expand it, arrow down to hyper v platform
and  expand that, then uncheck hyper v hyperviser, and finally you
will need to restart after that.
I have to toggle this on when using docker for windows, and off for
using VM Ware. There are some shell commands to do this that I don't
remember, I have been meaning to automate this process, just haven't
gotten around to it.

I hope this helps,

Timothy Breitenfeldt