[NFBCS] Sonification of graphs

Doug Lee dgl at dlee.org
Wed Apr 1 13:30:48 UTC 2020

I'd break the graph sonification problem into two parts: Producing the sounds, and determining what sounds to produce.

The first of those is by far the easier, I'd say. NVDA's progress bar indications, and if I daresay, my older JGauge indications for progress bars in JAWS, are examples of ways to do that. (JGauge, old though it is, remains
at https://www.dlee.org/jgauge/ )

The problem, then, is how to know what sounds to make. Direct interpretation of graphical presentation for translation to sound tends to be a complex task, and rather tied to what sort of graph you're expecting. The type of
sonification we're discussing here might work well for bar graphs, single-line plots, and perhaps even geographical presentations; but a pie chart would be completely nonsensical if presented this way.

The normal approach to this problem, I believe, is to get at the original data and interpret that for sound rather than trying to interpret the graphical presentation itself. That, of course, moves the problem into the realm
of accessibility that is shared by every control type in modern software: What data is made available to assistive technology so that interpretation is possible?

Back to the progress bar example: Progress bars typically provide a percent-complete to assistive technology. That's all NVDA or JAWS would need in order to make a sound that represents the state of progress.

All that said...

If you have a graph that you want translated to sound, and you know what sort of graph it is, and that a translation to sound actually makes sense, there's probably a way to do it. It would usually be preferable, though, to
get at the data that generated it instead, and present sound from that.

Thoughts welcome of course.