[NFBCS] VoiceOver on Mac with Python

Greg Kearney gkearney at gmail.com
Sun Apr 12 18:12:34 UTC 2020

Not really the case here is how to set up VoiceOver to read indentations:

In VoiceOver Utilities go to the verbosity settings and do the following:

1. In the speech section set your verbosity level to the high.
2. In the text settings set the punctuation to "All"
3. In the text settings set the repeated punctuation to "always spoken".
4. In the Navigation section set the VoiceOver cursor to by synchronized with the keyboard focus and have mouse follow the VoiceOver cursor

Now in the code, use the standard keyboard cursor movement key to read the code. You will notice that VoiceOver will now state if there is a tab or space, it's better to use tabs if you can.

Remember that MacOS also support emacs binding in the text editing system and so you can do things like this:

option-right arrow = move one word to the right placing the insertion point at the end of the word just read.

option-left arrow = move one word to the right placing the insertion point at the start of the word just read.

option-up arrow = move to the start of the current line. Doing this again move you to the start of the line above.

option-down arrow = move to the end of the current line. Doing this again move you to the end of the line below.

There are a ton of other ones of these and they can even be customized. Instructions for that is found here: http://www.hcs.harvard.edu/~jrus/site/cocoa-text.html

Here are some others more than you likely ever wanted to know:
https://www.hcs.harvard.edu/~jrus/site/system-bindings.html

control-A	move to the beginning of the paragraph
control-B	move backward
control-D	delete forward:
control-E	move to the end of the paragraph
control-F	move forward
control-H	delete backward
control-K	delete to the end of the paragraph
control-L	center the selection in the text area
control-N	move down
control-O	split the current line
control-P	move up
control-T	transpose letters
control-V	move one page down
control-Y	yank back ‘killed’ text

Remember to turn on invisible chars in your editor as well.

Greg Kearney