[NFBCS] Some Access Questions for Intro CS Class

Timothy Breitenfeldt timothyjb310 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 19:43:22 UTC 2020

Hi Natalie, I use python all the time.
I am not personally sure about PyCharm, I think I remember looking at
it and it not being very accessible or accessible at all, but not sure
on that one.
Github is great, I would recommend downloading the git client here:

https://git-scm.com/downloads

There are other ways of using Github, but the git command line
interface is my preference. Don't get sucked into using the github web
interface, it is a pane, and most people don't touch it much except
for grabbing links to clone or pull requests.

At this point, not sure what platform you are on, weather windows,
mac, or linux, and the screen reader you are using, however, assuming
windows, yes the python repl is great.
I personally use NVDA on Windows, but either way, if on windows, you
can either change the NVDA cursor or JAWS cursor to read the window. I
can give more detail on either depending on which you are using.
An alternative, there is a great command prompt keyboard shortcut in
windows 10, control plus m, which turns on mark mode. This allows you
to press up and down arrow through your command prompt window output
without changing the screenreader cursor. You can also use your usual
selection commands to select text and copy it from the window. Press
escape to get out of mark mode.

Web pages is pretty ambiguous, but screen readers are designed to
handle the reading of web pages, assuming that the web developer did
not do anything crazy,and forget about accessibility.

I tend to use ED Sharp for writing python code, and running in the
command line, you won't get things like auto complete and other fancy
things that a standard development environment will give you, but ED
Sharp was created for screen readers, and handles indentation great,
which is very important for python as you will eventually see.

Here is the ED Sharp download page:

https://github.com/EmpowermentZone/EdSharp

This is a windows only code editor, so if you are using a mac, you
will have to look into something else. I don't have a lot of
experience using a Mac, but some.

Hope this helps,

Timothy Breitenfeldt