[NFBCS] best solution for remote linux terminal work

Brian Buhrow buhrow at nfbcal.org
Fri Aug 7 18:40:36 UTC 2020

	hello.  As a long time Unix person who uses terminals over ssh on a
daily basis with screen readers, I strongly recommend you build yourself a
Linux box and ssh to your remote sites from there.  Then, you can either
use Speakup or Yasr as your screen reader.  I use Yasr with the eflite/flite
software speech engine.  This combination of software will give you full
access to screen oriented programs in terminal environments.  While I think
things are changing a bit, terminal access using Jaws, NVDA or VoiceOver
is, in my experience, doable, but very very suboptimal.  As proof of that,
you'll  probably get a number of folks writing back on this question
suggesting that terminal access works fine using the Windows screen
readers, but that you'll find it easier to edit files on the local Windows
machine and then transfer them up using scp or some other file transfer
protocol once you're done.  that is a very inefficient way to edit files on
remote servers.  The combination of software I suggest lets me edit files
with ease in their native environments on the servers on which they belong.

Hope this helps.
-Brian