[NFBCS] Getting Ready to Upgrade Computer

charles.vanek at gmail.com charles.vanek at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 02:30:26 UTC 2020

Agree i5 / 8GB minimum.  If you can afford an i7 processor and you generally
keep laptops for a long time it will be more delightful.

Other thing to consider is the keyboard.  If you want a built in numeric
keyboard they are available.  Usually on Business series laptops like Dell
Latitude and Lenovo ThinkPads.  Might just be on the 15inch screen models.
Personally I do not like the numeric keypad on a laptop because then typing
is off center (i.e. the numeric keypad puts the keyboard to the left).

I posted a while back that I bought a Surface Pro 7 (which is a tablet) and
got the Type Cover (which is the keyboard that magnetically attaches).  What
I didn't like was the Insert key was a combo with the Delete key.  Thus JAWS
needs be set to use the laptop layout.  I'll admit I could take the time to
work up the muscle memory for it, but didn't and ended up returning the
Surface (which Microsoft took back without question).

Which brings me to my final point when buying a laptop.  Know the return
policy and don't hesitate to use it if the laptop you buy doesn't suit your
needs.  Or if you decide to try a touchscreen model but find that the
touchscreen isn't useful (which I didn't find it to be nearly as good as any
Apple iPhone or iPad).  I think I've returned at least 2 laptops in the past
5 years and other than getting it to a UPS drop-off it was hassle free.

Good luck.

Best,
Charles