[NFBCS] dRE: Eero Pro 6

charles.vanek at gmail.com charles.vanek at gmail.com
Mon Dec 28 21:19:33 UTC 2020

Hi Dan,
I did install the Eero Pro 6 with 3 nodes.  It's been a pretty great
replacement although it does have some drawbacks.

The answer is no and no.  I don't recall being able to set it up as an
Access Point vs a Router.  You could set it up on an existing Router but by
it would then create another NAT and I'm not 100% sure if you could
configure it appropriately to broadcast across the two networks as if it
were one.  Thus you'd end up with 2 distinct networks.  And you'd be
introducing some small amount of lag.

As for a traditional web interface the gateway Eero is not listening on
ports 80 or 443 from the internal VLAN.

As for it's wireless connectivity and speed.  I can run speed tests that max
out my 400Mbit service to my iPhone 12 Pro.  And all 50 or so devices are
working very well.
The drawbacks I've found vs my old Asus AC3200 and the Asus AX11000 I tested
are:
1. Need to pay for added security.  Asus had TrendMicro built in (though I
don't know how much it actually helped)
2. No VPN built into the router and No Dynamic DNS.  I loved that the Asus
had this feature so I could VPN my devices when not at home and access my
entire LAN securely while also securing my browsing from hotels and the
like.
3. Only 2 Ethernet ports requires me to add an 8 port switch to the gateway
Eero.
4. Requires an account with Eero/Amazon.  I'd prefer a standalone device.

What I like.
1. The switching from node to node walking through the house on a Zoom call
is 100% seamless on my iPhone 12 Pro and iPad Air 4.
2. I've got 5Ghz connections throughout the house where I used to have the
Asus drop down to 2.4Ghz
3. Setup was a breeze and the app is pretty well off in terms of WCAG.
4. Firmware updates automatically.
5. Has no problem at all streaming 3 Zoom/Google calls with HD Video up &
down.  HD Video two 2 Apple TVs and streaming Audio to Sonos all
simultaneously.  Which we're normally not doing quite that much streaming.
6. I thought I would end up running Ethernet back-hall to at least 1 of the
nodes, I've not had to.
7. Though I've not stressed it outside, the better node placement has
improved signal strength numbers on my Deck which previously could barely
hold just a VoIP call.  I'll have to test this out in the summer with Video
streaming.
8. All 3 nodes have Dual Core processors.  I think these were Qualcomm based
if I recall correctly.

While the Asus "could" do all that, it couldn't do it as well if the devices
were moving throughout the house or we overloaded the 2nd story of the house
where it tended to switchover to 2.4Ghz.

So I would recommend it and have done so already to my brother-in-law who
just picked one up last week.   But know that it appears to be far more of a
Consumer device than a Tech Pro device.

Best,
Charles