[NFBCS] Slack

Timothy Breitenfeldt timothyjb310 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 14 02:18:50 UTC 2020

Hi, I use NVDA with Slack everyday for my job. It was a bit
challenging to figure out at first, but it is not to bad.
You do not need an Add on for NVDA. I have not had much luck using
Slack with JAWS, but it sounds like there are some scrips available.
For whatever reason, JAWS and NVDA do not interact with Slack in the
same way, it is a bit confusing.

I am using the slack desktop client.

One thing to note about the Slack desktop environment is that a lot of
your standard web shortcuts seem to work, so for example, e to jump to
an edit box, b to jump to a button, etc... Even insert plus f7 will
pull up a list of your elements, slack has no links, so keep that in
mind if you are confused w;why there is nothing in the list when you
first pull it up.
The keyboard commands I use everyday are:

press e to jump to the message box, there is generally only one edit
box on the page at a time. The name of the message box will be the
name of the thread that is focused, such as "general", or "Amanda"
press enter to interact with the edit box, type your message, and
press enter to send. IF you want a multiline message, I recommend
writing it out in notepad and pasing it in. There is probably a easier
way, but I am not sure.
>From within the message edit box, you can press up arrow to look at
the messages in the thread, and down arrow will scroll down through
the messages until you reach back to the edit box again. you can read
a message in more detail by pressing f6 once a specific message is
selected, this will dump you into some side pane I think which is
where the message is, allowing you to interact with links, as well as
perform actions on the message like sharing it with someone else.
press shift plus f6 to get back into the thread message list, and you
can continue scrolling through messages. press escape to drop back
down into the edit box to write a message.
press control + shift plus k for a dialog box to send a direct message
to a specific individual, it immediately drops you into a search box
that you can start typing the name of the person you want to message.
Press enter on the person once you found them, and you can continue
adding more people, to the message, or just press tab and press the go
button, which will open up the page that has the message box and list
of messages for that thread.
Press control plus shift plus l to pull up a list of the channels. if
you need to search for a specific channel, shift plus tab a couple
tabs from the list box you are immediately dropped into, and you will
evetually find a search box you can type into like for direct
messages. Don't be fooled, NVDA says search when you do control plus
shift plus l, but it does not actually have focus on the search box.

I think that covers the basics, here is a reference to the slack
keyboard shortcuts.

https://slack.com/help/articles/201374536-Slack-keyboard-shortcuts#windows-linux-3

I struggle with slack a bit every now and then, but generally it is
not to bad once you get used to it.

Timothy Breitenfeldt