[NFBCS] Is It Possible to Configure a New Laptop without Sighted Help

Ryan Mann rmann0581 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 25 13:16:43 UTC 2020

One thing you may need sighted assistance for is going into the BIOS and configuring it so that the function keys are used as function keys are not for things like volume and display brightness.  Otherwise, you might need to hold down FN whenever you want to do something like Alt F4 to close a program or F7 for spell check.  On Lenovo laptops, this is called auto hot key support.  I had to get somebody to help me turn that off in my BIOS.  It’s probably called something similar on other brands.  Other than that, Narrator will be good enough until you can install JAWS or NVDA.