[NFBCS] Slack questions

Doug Lee dgl at dlee.org
Fri Jun 25 18:15:03 UTC 2021

Tab until you start hearing reactions. In the last two weeks though, I've seen this fail from time to time.

Btw, I also have Slack scripts at https://www.dlee.org/slack/ in case they might help you.

On Fri, Jun 25, 2021 at 12:18:44PM -0500, NFBCS mailing list wrote:
Thanks Doug Lee and everyone else for the helpful replies. I can read
replies now that I know how the threads work. I am still figuring out
how to navigate inside a message. I usually use NVDA but I may need to
switch to JAWS for this. I am using the web version because I find it
slightly better. How do you view reactions to a message you sent.
Slack says that one of the messages I sent to a group has two
reactions, but does not identify them.

On 6/22/21, Nancy Coffman via NFBCS <nfbcs at nfbnet.org> wrote:
> Does the JAWS or review cursor move to where you need it to read?
>
> You might be able to create a frame around where replies display and have it
> read automatically. I don't know if there are any scripts or add-ons for
> Slack.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Jun 22, 2021, at 1:03 PM, Aaron Cannon via NFBCS <nfbcs at nfbnet.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>> I largely agree with Doug, except that I do find it very valuable to
>> switch in and out of the virtual cursor frequently, to reread parts of
>> messages.
>>
>> Good luck. Slack has done a pretty solid job at making their apps
>> accessible, and while they're for sure not perfect, they are far
>> better than they used to be, and better than much of the competition.
>>
>> Aaron
>>
>>> On 6/22/21, Doug Lee via NFBCS <nfbcs at nfbnet.org> wrote:
>>> The Right and Left arrows move to and back from the replies of a message,
>>> and Up and Down move among messages or replies depending on where you are
>>> at
>>> the time.
>>>
>>> Slack itself does not provide a way to read by character, word, etc.
>>> unless
>>> you use the JAWS virtual view or NVDA browse mode, which I generally
>>> don't
>>> recommend. In JAWS, one way to handle this is to use speech history,
>>> which
>>> is opened by Insert+Space H, and then reading up from the bottom of the
>>> displayed buffer to review the latest spoken message in detail. The NVDA
>>> object navigation and review commands should allow this sort of review
>>> there.
>>>
>>> On Tue, Jun 22, 2021 at 12:10:31PM -0500, NFBCS mailing list wrote:
>>> A team that I'm on is using Slack, and I've run into a couple of
>>> problems with it that weren't addressed by reading the keyboard
>>> shortcuts.
>>>
>>> First, how do you read replies? When someone replies to a message that
>>> I've sent, Slack says it "has one reply," but it does not read the
>>> reply to me. Pressing Enter does nothing.
>>>
>>> Second, how do you navigate by character, word, sentence, paragraph,
>>> etc. within a message. The arrow keys do other things. When I get a
>>> long message I have to listen to the entire thing over and over again,
>>> and I still can't tell how anything is spelled.
>>>
>>> Thanks.

>>> NFBCS:
>>> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nfbcs_nfbnet.org/dgl%40dlee.org
>>>
>>> --
>>> Doug Lee                 dgl at dlee.org                http://www.dlee.org
>>> Level Access             doug.lee at LevelAccess.com
>>> http://www.LevelAccess.com
>>> "You must let me try, for a true soldier does not admit defeat before
>>> the battle."
>>> --Helen Keller (in a letter to the president of Radcliffe College)

>>> NFBCS:
>>> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nfbcs_nfbnet.org/cannona%40fireantproductions.com

>> NFBCS:
>> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nfbcs_nfbnet.org/nancy.l.coffman%40gmail.com

http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nfbcs_nfbnet.org/dgl%40dlee.org

Level Access             doug.lee at LevelAccess.com    http://www.LevelAccess.com
"The U. S. Constitution doesn't guarantee happiness, only the pursuit
of it. You have to catch up with it yourself." --Benjamin Franklin